Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I fail to qualify for Obedient Wives' Club

Yesterday marked the start of exodus with SY's last day. Next week, VH will leave. Me? Another month to go although I was the first to tender.

SY's reasons for leaving prompted some stirrings in my heart. Maybe 'staunch' is not the correct description but I will use it anyway.

She is a staunch Christian and her reason for leaving P.L.R. is to have the time to serve her husband and family better. Work had robbed her of energy and time. By the time she reached home from work, she was too pooped to do any housework or clear any mess. All these would be done by the family helper and she loathed it as she thought as a wife and daughter-in-law, she should be doing all these instead of relying on the maid to do it. In biblical times, the woman stayed at home to take care of the home and husband and kids' needs.

I know she is also one who is supportive of home-schooling. From another colleague, I understood that she thought it was cruel to leave (Note: I refrain from using stronger words than 'leave') a crying child at the childcare centre. All the kid wanted was to be just with the parent/s.

Wife stays at home to perform her God-intended role and just live simply? How is that possible in Singapore unless the husband has rich parents; or brings home not only the bacon but rears a pig farm?

I am feeling imbalanced. I don't even have the luxury to think about stopping work as it is really impossible to survive on one income. Take away the car, childcare fee, family holidays. But what about the housing loan? Our parents' allowances? Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

I haven't even gone to me serving in church ministries again. That's another struggle for fulltime working mums.

Anyways, I wish SY all the best and may God honour and bless the time you have set apart for yourself, Danny and your family.

No comments: